Sunday, April 3, 2011

3 Tier Cake Stand

Now that I'm caught up on previous entries, I can blog about my most recent and most favorite craft yet!

MY 3 TIERED CAKE STAND!

I've been wanting to make a cake stand for quite a while, but have always put it on the back burner. Since my niece's birthday was coming up, and I make her a cake every year, this was the perfect opportunity to pull the cake stand idea off of the back burner. Originally, I was going to just make one tier, but I liked the idea of doing cupcakes for her and making 3 tiers. Again, another very easy project. 

My first step was to find plates and glasses/vases. I would use the vases/glasses as the stand/base.  The patterns on the plates and the glasses didn't matter, I was just interested in the size, shape and details because I was going to spray paint them. I went to the local thrift store and had endless choices! I honestly could make about 20 of these with the plates that I fell in love with there. I made it out of the thrift store spending less than $10 and got all this..


Now that I had the goods, I needed to pick out a color of paint and buy a sealant which could be epoxy, clear caulk, or some other heavy duty sealant. I used a tube of clear caulk. I've never spray painted ceramic or glass before so I was a little worried about the end result, but was pleasantly surprised. It was SO easy, with no problems at all. I went with a light purple spray paint from Walmart. The only thing you have to make sure is that the particular paint is ok for glass and ceramic. It took 2 coats and I didn't even need to do a clear coat over it because it was a very smooth finish. 



After the spray paint has dried (I waited overnight to be sure), it's time to stack the plates and seal them on. Once I knew which way I wanted the glasses to be, upright or upside down, I was ready for the final step. I put a line of the clear caulking on the rim of the glass and centered it on the plate. There was a little extra ooze, which was cleared away with a Q-Tip, but can also be removed with some alcohol once dry. You have to work pretty quickly with the caulking because it dries fast, although it does need to set overnight. Using a heavy duty sealer makes the cake stand incredibly sturdy. I am SO happy with the finished product and know that I will be using this all the time. 



This is a picture of the first use of my cake stand, for my niece's fairy themed birthday party.


As you can see the pictures above this one show the glasses reversed, before the gluing process, then I changed my mind. 
Honestly, if anyone wants one, I'd be happy to do this craft again and make it for you, it was a lot of fun!







1 comment:

  1. Hi, we love your craft project. Just have one question. With using spray paint and chalk is it safe to have food on it. Is there a process that missed?

    ReplyDelete