Tuesday, October 25, 2011

What's your sign? Canvas?

I don't know about you, but every time I'm in a craft store, I walk down the painting aisle (as well as every other aisle) and wish I had painting skills. I would love to just buy a canvas and free hand a masterpiece. 

Ok, back to reality Marissa. Feeling inspired, one day while in this tempting aisle, the canvas' were 50% off. How could I resist? I bought 4 of them. I've been wanting to make my own vintage looking signs for my apartment and this could be the start.

When I can't sleep at night, my mind wanders, which is the time ideas for crafts come to me, causing me to be so excited that I'm wide awake even longer! My brother's 6 year anniversary popped in my head. What could I do? Maybe I could make a sign for them on a canvas. Who doesn't like their name on something?? 

Unfortunately, I didn't take step by step pictures, but it's a very easy process that I will do my best to explain. 

Supplies: 
Canvas, whatever size you wish
Template for whatever you are writing on your sign (I typed in Word and printed)
Carbon Transfer paper Looks like this
Paint/Brushes
Thumbtacks 
Coffee/Tea (if you decide to antique it)

First, I'd suggest to create the wording part of the design on your computer and print it out. This way the font will be flawless. 

Paint your canvas with whatever the background color is going to be, I used antique white and then painted several layers of coffee over the white for a more antique look. 

Once the paint is dry, layer your canvas with transfer paper on top followed by your printed design. Then simply trace the letters, the carbon paper will transfer this onto the canvas. Don't worry about the pen marks, you are painting over it! 

Once the image is transferred, get your paint and brush (recommend a fine brush), take your time and trace over your outlined letters, then fill in. 

I must admit, I wasn't sure what I was going to do with the canvas once the letters were done, I'd figure that out later. As I was painting, I realized this looked like a wine label. What did it need? Their own logo! Since it was a canvas for my brother's anniversary, I decided to do a bride and groom silhouette for their wine logo. This step was done the same way the letters were. 

I knew this canvas needed a little bling, so decided to put a few thumbtacks in the corners. 

Here is the finished product:


No comments:

Post a Comment