Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Kids Bureau




A few years ago my mother bought an old bureau from a yard sale for $20 thinking it could be a good project for me. We brain-stormed and thought it would be cute to make it for my niece with a Madeline theme. Madeline is a very popular book in my family, so passing it down to hear meant a lot.

To be completely honest, I wasn't prepared at all with tools and proper paint, so I just used what we had and also borrowed some paint from my neighbor who just painted a home office for themselves.


Off to start priming with plain old white paint!



After the priming was done and dry, it was time to make Madeline's house. I painted the bureau an tan-ish color while making the top a terra-cotta thanks to my neighbor! I knew from memory "in an old house in Paris that was covered in vines.." was the basis of this house. I also found a small picture of the actual house online and printed out as a guideline. After the tan base was dry, I then made some windows with balconies, dipped a paper towel into some dark brown paint, dabbed it all around the house, made the vines, and of course, Madeline and her dog Genevieve.





I thought the top needed one more finishing touch:




Final Impression: 
The Madeline bureau was so much fun to make. I knew it could be a complete disaster since I wasn't prepared, but what did I have to lose, $20? So I went for it. I'm really glad with the way it came out, and now can not just pass the book on, but the bureau as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment